Dear Hams and SWLs,
I am pleased to invite you to the first annual convention of Lamakaan Amateur Radio Club. To be held at MJCET, Hyderabad. Take time to read through this page and the schedule. We have lined up many interesting events to make this your best convention experience.
Registration fee is kept very low to make it affordable to everyone. LARC neither seeks any funding nor wants it. Instead, we manage with whatever the delegates can contribute. So, please help yourself.
We will be setting up an amazing flea market that will sell many transceiver kits, PCBs, torroids, used rigs, antennas, etc. The entire schedule is packed up with 12 really great and very interesting talks and over half a dozen demonstrations right from using Baofeng radios for satellites to stand-alone SDRs.
- Food: A simple lunch is provided on both days, tea is available round the clock. If you want the famous Hyderabadi Biryani, you can preorder it on the registration page which will be served on 26th. (We won’t be able to arrange for it for spot registrations)
- Accommodation: We are making few arrangements for stay close to the venue. The details will appear soon.
- Travel: We will have volunteers at the railway stations, airport and the bus station on the morning of 26th to guide you to the venue or to your place of stay.
Here are the brief highlights:
- 12 sessions: On the 26th, we have a day packed with the best brains of India talking and showing how to work with Raspberry PI, satellites, designing antennas on PCs, etc.
- Homebrew Contest: Grab an all band HF transceiver as the first prize and a 40 meter SSB transceiver as the second prize. The contest is open to all delegates. Bring your homebrew project and enter into the contest (No matter whether it is a TRX or a simple oscillator or any piece of test equipment)
- Eyeball Contest: Take a VHF/UHF handheld transceiver by logging the largest number of signatures on the eyeball day.
- Flea Market: Buy project PCBs, toroids, tools, cables, accessories, junk, pre owned radios and many more.
- Club Night: Talk about your club activities, show off your projects, events and club members’ rigs.
- KiCad workshop: Bring your laptop and learn to design PCBs with SP Bhatnagar’s night workshop.
- uBITX workshop: For Rs.7000, you can build your own all band HF transceiver in one evening with Farhan. Bring your tools and wire up the board!
- Eyeball: Buy and sell, meet and greet and watch great demonstrations of radio control flying, working satellites, putting up hex-beams and many more
I hope to see you at LARC’18 soon.
Rajan, VU2KNN (President, LARC)
Venue : MJCET
The venue of LARC’18 is the lovely campus of the Muffakham Jah College of Engineering and Technology in the heart of Banjara Hills. It was the summer retreat of the Nizam and called the Mount Pleasant. The MJCET are our co-hosts for this event.
You can search the maps for MJCET or just ask for directions to Road 3, Banjara Hills.
The LARC’18 flea market promises to be have a very large selection of homebrew equipment, second hand rigs, parts and accessories.
- PCB Sale from LARC’s shop for BITX20, Norcal40 and other transceivers
- RF cables from Techno-cables
- Toroids, ferrites
- Old junk from VU2LB, VU2OO and others with large junkboxes
- Antennas for sale
- Rigs for sale
Do you want to book a table for yourself in the flea-market? Let us know and we will keep one for you. Send an SMS to +91-81064-16614
Have you built anything lately? Antenna, accessory or a transceiver? Enter any homebrew equipment for the contest . Delegates get to vote and you can win!
- First prize, an all-band 10 watt HF uBITX transceiver kit.
- Second prize, a 7 watts SSB HF BITX40 transceiver
Collect signatures from every delegate. Whoever gets most signatures will win this contest. Winner takes a new 2M, dual-band handy!
Seminar, January 26th (Friday)
An all-day long seminar with the top hams of the country talking about Antennas, Satellites, Raspberry Pis, Cubesats, and more.
- uBITX workshop (with Farhan, VU2ESE) Jan 26th, 9 PM onwards. Build your uBITX in few hours with Farhan’s help. The entire kit, all components will be provided. Just get your tools (VOM, soldering iron, 12v linear power supply, cutter, pliers, stripper, solder and a screwdriver). You must preregister for this (on the registration form).
- Learn to make PCBs (with SP Bhatnagar, VU2SPF) Jan 26th, 9 PM onwards design your own PCBs using KiCad (the free software). The workshop is free, but you have to bring your own laptop with the latest KiCad installed on it.
Jan 26th, 9 PM onwards. Not interested in any of the workshops? Join the club night where all the participating clubs do their own show-n-tell. Bring the projects of your club along and you can show and dicuss them. Each club gets their own table.
Eyeball Meet, Janury 27th (Saturday)
Eyeballs are for meeting and greeting and buying and selling your stuff! Have a great time watching the demos or listening to Dr. Naidu talk about his stand-alone SDR.
This is only a partial list :
- Stand-alone SDR (Naidu, VU2ZAZ)
- uBITX transceiver (Farhan, VU2ESE)
- Antenna making: Hexbeam, 9-band, Butternut vertical (Aravind, VU2ABS)
- Radio Control flying (Kavi, VU2UAV)
- Satellite Communications with AO-91, (Nitin, VU3TYG)